Thursday, October 9, 2008

Obama Drill Team

The same friend I mentioned in the previous post was concerned about a story that was forwarded to her in an email.

She prefaced her email to me with:

"I find it interesting that my Republican friends are always looking for something negative about Democrats, yet my Democratic friends never forward negative things about the Republicans. Now I don't believe for one minute it is because there is nothing negative about Republicans. I do think it is rather telling though, don't you?"

This was the email she was concerned about:

"Subject: Have you seen this? Yikes!!!!!!

I would think this video ought to make people a bit nervous.

Alpha omega is generally used to describe God or Jesus.

This is really eerie. With the uniforms and almost worship like devotion to their God Obama.

Creeps me out. Reminds me of the devotion the youth had to Hitler.



Here is what they are saying:

GROUP: Alpha, omega, alpha, omega, alpha, omega.

VOICE: Because of Obama, I'm inspired to be the next doctor.

VOICE: Because of Obama, I'm inspired to be the next lawyer.

VOICE: Because of Obama, I'm inspired to be the next automotive technician.

VOICE: Because of Obama, I'm inspired to be the next sheriff.

VOICE: Because of Obama, I'm inspired to be the next architect.

VOICE: Because Obama, I am inspired to be the next engineer.

VOICE: Because of Obama, I'm inspired to be the next fireman.

VOICE: Yes, we can.

VOICE: Yes, we can.

VOICE: Yes, we can.

VOICE: Yes, we can.

VOICE: Yes, we can.

VOICE: Yes, we can.

VOICE: Yes, we can.

VOICE: Yes, we can.

VOICE: Yes, we can.

VOICE: Obama's health care plan will simplify paperwork for providers.

VOICE: Obama's health care plan will provide subsidies for families who cannot afford Medicaid.

VOICE: Obama's health care plan will be able to provide participants the ability to move from job to job without changing their health care coverage.

VOICE: Obama's health care plan will extend coverage to young adults up to the age of 25 through their parents' plan.

VOICE: Drill team, retreat."


Now, Midtown Miscreant, had an excellent primer on this very subject. His basic, earth shattering, and incredibly insightful point was that black folk and white folk don't behave in the same way.

While I find the recitation of wonky health care policy esoterica to be a bit bizarre, this was my response to my friend and to the video:

"I fail to see anything negative in that video. Educated, organized, motivated, disciplined urban young males who want to be involved in the process and improve themselves.

I'm inspired to be the next doctor.

I'm inspired to be the next lawyer.

I'm inspired to be the next automotive technician.

I'm inspired to be the next sheriff.

I'm inspired to be the next architect.

I'm inspired to be the next engineer.

I'm inspired to be the next fireman.

I don't hear anything threatening in that liturgy.

So what if they were part of a High School Drill Team to better themselves?

The United States Marine Corps has Drill Teams.

The United States Air Force has Drill Teams.

The United States Navy has Drill Teams.

The United States Army has Drill Teams.

The United States Coast Guard has Drill Teams.

The Armed Forces Drill Teams all have one thing in common.

They are rooted in a tradition of killing people and breaking things. Because that's their job. It's why they all carry rifles.

These so called "Obama Youth" don't carry any weapons. They just want to grow up without getting gunned down or going to jail.

They just want to get educated and get a good job."


Since the Republican de-regulated economy has flushed all of our retirement dreams down the crapper like the noxious remains of 50 cent fish taco night at the local VFW, we will all probably wind up as 75 year old "entry level employees" working for one of these chest slapping go-getters.

I suggest that you get used to the idea that the typical, American demographic profile is shifting.

Us Hip Suburban (northern European) White Guys are sliding down the slippery slope to minority status in America.

And that's O.K. We had a good run. We got to fuck up a lot of stuff, play with some cool toys, get rich and make "other people" pay our bills.

It's time to give some other people a shot at the American Dream. I'm excited to see what they do with it.

Adapt or perish. It's the American Way.

No comments:

Post a Comment